Monday, August 17, 2009

Been There, Done That....Three Times

I keep getting the weekly, sometimes daily, emails from Weight Watchers. Their latest program, called Momentum, combines the best of all their Core and Points systems.


The first time that I did Weight Watchers was sometime in the early 90's. You picked your foods to eat, you counted your points, you wrote it down, and you weighed in once a week, attending the meeting for tips and support. I loved the meetings! Our group leader, Maxine, was incredible! She was always the most fashionable, enthusiastic person and really shared a no-nonsense approach to weight loss. (Did you know you can burn 450 calories with an hour of active s-e-x? Just one of the tidbits that learned from WW!)

The second time I attended WW was around 2003 or 2004. Lost the same thirty pounds that I had lost in the 90's. This time a chose the Core plan: eat from a prescribed list of foods. I liked it better than all the counting, but you still were expected to keep a food journal. (Hmmmm, am I really going to write down that extra piece of pie that I had for lunch?) This time my attempt at weight loss was less about vanity (yes, I admit it!) and more about getting healthy as we thought about trying to get pregnant.

And my third round with WW followed the birth of my daughter. I was on a roll at the beginning, losing as quickly as she gained. I was down 14 pounds when she actually weighed 14 pounds. But sleepless nights and an increasingly busy schedule kept me from a meeting or two or three (I'd rather go to bed at 7:00 p.m. than attend a meeting) and eventually I realized that my $40 a month could be better spent (sort of like the Netflix subscription that I can't seem to use).

Don't get me wrong. I truly believe that WW is one of the best weight loss programs and I am one of the first to recommend it for folks that are looking to commit to a weight loss program. I just can't seem to find my commitment for anything weight loss related these days.

Ice Cream of the Day: Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey (1/2 cup = 290 calories, 17g of fat)

No comments:

Post a Comment